What is a ceramic heat sink?
The components of modern technology products, such as computer chips or light-emitting diodes, generate more and more waste heat during operation. Generally, the existing heat sinks used to assist the heat dissipation of the heating components usually include at least a metal heat sink and a heat sink. The fan conducts the waste heat from the operation of the heating element through the heat sink and removes it by air convection, and uses the fan to forcefully accelerate the convection of the air around the heating element to achieve the effect of rapid heat removal.
However, the heat transfer coefficient of the existing metal heat sinks is not very good, so there are heat sinks made of ceramic materials with better heat transfer properties on the market, in order to achieve better heat dissipation effect, ceramic heat sinks This was born; the ceramic heat sink is mainly composed of a heat dissipation layer and a heat conduction layer. The heat dissipation layer is unevenly dispersed with a latex-like slurry using the principle of liquid phase chemical change to form a thin structure of ceramic powder, and is combined with sub-micron powder. The porosity of the heat dissipation layer is between 5% and 40%, and the particle size of the powder is between 90 nanometers and 300 nanometers. The heat source contact surface has a heat conduction layer, the heat conduction layer absorbs and conducts the heat source, and through the high surface area of the hole structure of the heat dissipation layer, air is used as the heat dissipation medium to improve the heat dissipation capacity for heat dissipation.
Introduction to the classification of ceramic heat sinks
A ceramic heat sink is a device that dissipates heat from heat-prone electronic components in electrical appliances. At present, thermally conductive alumina ceramic sheets, thermally conductive aluminum nitride ceramic sheets, and silicon carbide ceramic heat sinks are commonly used in the market.
Thermally conductive alumina ceramic sheet: thermally conductive alumina ceramic heat sink has high thermal conductivity, thermal conductivity: 24W/M.K; high temperature/high pressure resistance, uniform heating, fast heat dissipation; simple and compact structure, small size, smooth surface, high strength and not easy to break , acid and alkali corrosion resistance, durable.
Thermally conductive aluminum nitride ceramic sheet: High thermal conductivity aluminum nitride ceramic sheet is gray-white in color and smooth in surface. It can be customized into any shape or size, which is easy to use and install. This ceramic heat sink has a very high thermal conductivity, its thermal conductivity is 7-10 times that of alumina ceramic sheets, and can reach as high as 180W. Its electrical insulation performance is quite stable, its dielectric constant and dielectric loss are low, and it can withstand The ultra-high temperature of 1800 degrees Celsius does not affect the working performance of the product. With the rapid development of electronic equipment, the demand for electronic or auxiliary products is also increasing. This product is used as a matrix or packaging material. High thermal conductivity aluminum nitride ceramic heat sink The application rate in the market is also more and more extensive.
Silicon carbide ceramic heat sink: Silicon carbide ceramic heat sink is a green and environmentally friendly material. It belongs to a micro-porous structure and can have 30% more porosity under the same unit area, which greatly increases the heat dissipation area in contact with the air and enhances its performance. heat radiation. At the same time, its heat capacity is small, its own heat storage is small, and its heat can be transferred to the outside world more quickly. The main features of ceramic heat sinks are: environmental protection, insulation, high voltage resistance, efficient heat dissipation, and avoid breeding EMI problems. It can effectively solve the problems of heat conduction and heat dissipation in the electronics and home appliance industries. At the same time, it is especially suitable for small and medium wattage power consumption. The design space is light, thin, short and small. It can provide technical support for the innovation and development of electronic products. with application.
Introduction to the advantages of ceramic heat sinks
- The ceramic heat sink itself does not store heat, and directly dissipates heat, which is fast and reduces the influence of the insulating layer on the thermal efficiency;
- The polycrystalline structure of the ceramic heat sink enhances heat dissipation. Compared with the same conditions, it surpasses most thermally conductive insulating materials on the market;
- The multi-directional heat dissipation of ceramic heat sinks accelerates heat dissipation;
- Ceramic heat sink insulation, high thermal conductivity, high voltage resistance, high temperature resistance, wear resistance, high strength, oxidation resistance, acid and alkali resistance, long service life, low thermal expansion coefficient, ensuring high and low temperature environments or other harsh environments The stability of the ceramic heat sink;
- Ceramic heat sinks are effective against interference (EMI) and antistatic;
- Ceramic heat sinks are made of natural organic materials, which meet environmental protection requirements;
- The ceramic heat sink is small in size, light in weight, high in strength, saves space, saves materials, saves freight, and is more conducive to the rational layout of product design;
- The ceramic heat sink can withstand high current, high voltage, anti-leakage breakdown, no noise, and no coupling parasitic capacitance with MOS and other power tubes, thus simplifying the filtering process; the required creepage distance is higher than that of metal bodies The requirement is short, which further saves board space and is more conducive to engineers’ design and electrical certification.
Introduction to the application fields of ceramic heat sinks
- Ceramic heat sinks are mainly used in high-power equipment, IC MOS tubes, IGBT chip thermal insulation, high-frequency power supplies, communications, mechanical equipment, high current, high voltage, high temperature and other product components that require thermal conduction and thermal insulation.
- LED lighting, high-frequency welding machine, power amplifier/audio, power transistor, power module, chip IC, inverter, network/broadband, UPS power supply, high-power equipment, etc.